We know picking the right kick scooter isn’t always simple nor easy as there are plenty of choices on the market, and it’s easy to become overwhelmed when shopping for a scooter that fits your life and needs.
In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about Kick Scooters.
Continue reading to find out more!
The Razor A5 Lux Scooter is our top pick for adult scooters. It is equipped with 200mm extra-large urethane wheels and a super strong aircraft-grade aluminum T-tube and deck.
Adult riders are generally faster riders. You may want a kick scooter with big wheels, larger decks, oversized and adjustable handlebars, and a more solid design. These scooters are expected to withstand more stress and weight. Moreover, a kick scooter with a folding mechanism can also make a big impact in terms of practicality and convenience.
Because of its smooth gliding and a maneuvering capacity, the Micro Kickboard Mini Scooter is the best Kid’s scooter we have tested as proven by parents who have recently bought a kick scooter for their kids.
Your kids won’t be performing the strategy and tricks you could perform, so larger and heavier scooters won’t be needed by the younger crowd. You could consider kick scooters with shorter bars, 100mm wheels, and smaller decks, which fit your kids, especially if they are first-time riders. Kids in their early teens could have kick scooters with 110mm wheels, taller and wider adjustable handlebars, and slightly bigger decks.
While the earliest Kick Scooters were made from wood as a children’s toy, these days scooters are built from aluminum, titanium, and steel which are lighter weight, safer and more durable than wood
Designs come with a variety of different features like wheel size, maneuverability, and speed. With this in mind, we’ve created a guide that will help you find the right scooter for you as well as your kids.
What Should be Considered Before Buying A Kick Scooter
Below are some of the key factors to consider before buying a Kick Scooter:
- Price – Kick scooters are pretty affordable to most people. The average price of a good scooter would probably cost you around 50 to less than 100 (higher end scooter may cost over 500 depending on the brand)
- Deck Characteristics- Durability and weight are important and relevant to how the scooter will be used. If you are looking for a solid scooter and longer rides, a sturdier deck is ideal for you. Make sure that the deck is long enough for your shoe size for a more comfortable ride.
- Wheels- Wheel characteristics affect your scooter’s performance. If you intend to use your kick scooter for longer rides, you should choose a kick scooter that has wheels made of plastic core embedded into the polyurethane (PU) thread. These are light wheels, wear-resistant, and have a reasonable amount of grip and rebound. You should also consider the wheel size if you want to speed up or slow down easily, small wheels with 100-145mm diameter are suitable for you. If you want a kick scooter with better rolling efficiency and better shock absorption, you may consider those with large wheels with 180-230mm diameter.
- Handlebar- Without considering the handlebar feature, you may run into issues in the future with height if the handlebars are not adjustable. Kick scooters make your ride more convenient and easy through its adjustable handlebar. You can adjust it to your desired height and comfort. This should be noted because some brands have no adjustable handlebars in order
- Frame Rigidity- Kick scooters with a rigid frame have a sturdier feel during a ride, which results in more stable steering. More rigidity means the less energy you need to power your scooter. You will have more efficient kicks and you will experience less bouncing. If you intend to use your scooter to do tricks, a looser setup is more useful.
- Special Features- Kick scooters may offer more than a handbrake. Some have a front hand brake or a rear fender brake with a double breaking power. A kickstand is an additional feature when you opt not to leave them leaned up against a parking meter. Most scooter companies today offer kick scooters with various features to best fit your needs as a rider. Luckily, there is a wide range of quality kick scooters for your budget and needs
Keeping the above considerations in mind, try to get as high a build quality as your budget allows. Remember you get what you pay for.
3 Reasons Why You Want To Ride A Kick Scooter (vs walking)
#1 Health Benefits
A kick scooter is a preferred choice among parents to get their kids into exercising, making kick scooters a perfect holiday or birthday gift for kids. At any age, it can help improve coordination and balance.
There is no question that kick scooters help improve coordination and balance, especially for our kids. There are numerous benefits to scooting, including the development of gross and fine motor skills, preventing lifestyle diseases like back pain and weight-loss. Scooting as an outdoor exercise is also very important for mental health.
Today, we can’t deny the consequences of sedentary professions, especially the health risks associated with a long day of sitting. The use of a kick scooter acts as an outstanding prevention for back pain, as well as a tool for strengthening the lateral back and abdominal muscles. It is an effective, gentle tool for weight loss, putting little strain on your joints and muscles.
Additionally, kick scooters with big wheels are about 60% to 70% as efficient as bicycles. Small-wheeled kick scooter likely would be about 50% as efficient. For short commutes of five kilometers, you’ll get more exercise with a kick scooter, a definite advantage.
With a kick scooter, our children can become more independent while having fun. It initiates outdoor activities for kids while they learn to socialize with neighbors and opens door to exploration, creativity, and learning. It allows everyone who scoots to take in the sights which is an enriching part of commuting.
Aside from the health benefits of kick scooters and the fun they bring, they provide easy transport when walking might be a burden. And talking about practicality, kick scooters are foldable, portable, and a compact form of wheeled transport that saves time and money.
Kick scooters are made portable and are easy to store and carry with their foldable features. Owning one doesn’t require a parking space. They are energy efficient since they don’t need electricity or gasoline. This also makes them economical and a low-cost form of transportation.
Kick Scooter Vs Bicycle
Let’s discuss the difference between riding a kick scooter and a bicycle.
If you are living in a dense area, it might be more convenient to commute by kick scooter than a bicycle. Traversing a mile takes about 6 minutes on a kick scooter at 10mph and 4 minutes on a bike at 15 mph. Your bicycle speed will be reduced due to the density of human traffic.
Unlike the conventional belief that Kick Scooters are slow and lack excitement, one competitive kick scooter rider proved everyone wrong by exceeding 20MPH at Queensboro bridge in NYC!
Kick scooters are portable, flexible and lightweight compared to bicycles which are typically heavy. You can store them in your backpack and you can literally carry them anywhere. Unlike bicycles, kick scooters do not require a parking space due to their folding mechanism.
With a kick scooter, you’ll be more pedestrian-friendly with lower speeds and quick maneuverability.
Road Dangers and Safety
Riding a bike may require the use of hand signals to communicate with motorists. However, it may be difficult for a child to develop and maintain the necessary skills to safely ride a bike, and it is dangerous for a child to cross the street on a bike when drivers may not follow traffic laws or may not see the child on the bike while turning around a corner.
With a kick scooter, you have more control starting, stopping and changing speed.
To sum up, both kick scooters and bicycles are effective in reducing travel time. Biking is more speed-driven than kick scooting but with a kick scooter, it requires less effort and less time to park and store.
A folding kick scooter is a more realistic, hassle-free solution to your commuting problems. Kick scooters only weigh about 10 lbs while bikes can weigh 25-32 lbs or heavier. The portability of kick scooters provides you with more comfort and convenience.